How to navigate in Brightspace
This article explains how to navigate in Brightspace. Depending on how you enter Brightspace, directly or through MyPortal, your landing page is either the WUR Brightspace homepage or the Course homepage.
In the homepage of the WUR in Brightspace you will find all necessary information regarding the courses you follow, system announcements and is the entry point to access all the courses you follow.
The WUR homepage contains several fixed widgets which help you navigate through the new Brightspace environment and find everything related to your courses:
The top menu is called the Minibar and it contains navigation and personal profile settings:
- Waffle – this is the course selector that can be used for searching and navigating to other courses. You can also pin active courses, so these will stay on top and you can easily find and access them.
- Message alerts - notifies you about unread mail and instant messages from instructors and other students.
- Subscription alerts - notifies you about new blog posts, subscribed discussion forums, topics, and threads.
- Update alerts - notifies you about new and updated announcements, due dates and end dates, and grades. You will receive update alerts when teachers add new content to the course, or when announcements, grades or deadlines are published. An orange dot appears when there are any updates.
- Your profile - contains all information regarding your profile and account settings. You can also log out of the Brightspace Learning Environment.
thumbnail view of all courses you are enrolled. By clicking on the thumbnail you will enter the course environment.
these are general WUR announcements about the Brightspace environment (eg. maintenance notifications).
upcoming events, from all courses you are enrolled in
The Course homepage is the online environment of the course you are following at Wageningen University & Research. Each course has its own space but always has the same structure.
The homepage of the course contains 5 widgets that are always visible. Each of the widgets is there to inform you on different aspects of the course. However, you will still have to check the content for updates and information relevant to the course. To learn more about the functionality of each see Homepage widgets below.
You now know how to navigate in Brightspace!