Discussions | How to add a video note to a discussion topic
If required you can add a video (note) to a discussion topic in your course.
This article will explain:
- steps to access the discussion topic and open a thread
- how to add a video as a post on a discussion topic
- via the text editor (recommended)
- via an attachment
Open your Brightspace course page and navigate to the green navigation bar. Then,
1. Click Communication
2. Click Discussions
In the new page all available discussion topics will appear.
3. Click the discussion topic name where you want to add the video note
In the new page,
4. Click the blue button Start a New Thread
Be aware that the way how you can start a thread (in other words create a post in the discussion topic) depends on how your lecturer setup the discussion topic.
You will now have two options how to add a video note as your post to the discussion:
- add from the text editor
- add as Attachment
Add video note from the text editor (recommended)
When you start a thread (your post) you will have to
- Enter a subject
- Click the Play icon in the upper bar of the text editor
A window pops up with options.
- Click Add Video Note
In the next page within the pop-up window you will be able to record your note or upload a recording from your computer.
After you finish recording, the video note will be added to the text editor.
Depending on the size of the recording it is possible that you will not see the ready file right away as it needs to be transformed by the system.
- Click the blue button Post to post your video note to the discussion topic
Your post will become visible in the list of threads of the discussion topic and will be playable directly from the discussion thread overview.
Add video note as an Attachment
You can also add a video note as an attachment to your post.
- Enter a subject of your post
- Click Show attachments, below the text editor
- From the options click on the button Record
After you click the button you will have two options: Record video and Record audio.
4. Click either Record video or Record audio
A window pops out where you will be able to record your video note. Follow the instruction in the pop up window to record your video.
After you finish and add the recording it will appear in the list of attachments to your post.
- Add text to the text editor
You will have to add text to the text editor in order to be able to publish your post.
- Click the blue button Post to publish your post to the discussion forum.
Your video note will be posted to the discussion topic and will appear in the list of threads. However, it will not be playable directly from the thread. To review the recording you will have to click on it, a new tab opens in the browser, and then again you will have to click a link that appears there.
You now know how to add a video note to a discussion topic in Brightspace!
Want to know more about Communication in Brightspace?